Gynecologists of the children’s department of the Medical Center “ON Clinic” are highly qualified and experienced in identifying the disorders of maturation and functioning of the organs of the reproductive system in girls, as well as in diagnostics and treatment of gynecological diseases.
What does a pediatric gynecologist do?
The competence of the pediatric gynecologist is diagnostics, treatment and prevention of the following diseases:
- inflammation and infection of the genital organs in girls (cystitis, vulvitis, candidiasis, vulvovaginitis, etc.);
- defects and abnormalities of the reproductive system (synechia, etc.);
- dysbacteriosis of the mucous membrane of the genital organs;
- polycystic ovary syndrome;
- disorder of puberty;
- menstrual disorder, etc.
Signs indicating the need to consult a pediatric gynecologist include the following:
- itching and burning in the genital area;
- aching pain in the abdomen;
- painful and frequent urination;
- discrepancy in the anatomical structure of the girl’s genitals;
- presence of discharge (yellow, gray or greenish) with a strong odor;
- redness of the skin and mucous membranes of the external genital organs;
- the appearance of secondary sexual characteristics up to 8 years of age and their absence after 13 years of age (growth of the mammary glands, body hair growth of the pubis and armpits);
- pain or irregularity of menstruation or its absence at the age of 14, etc.
How is the examination at the children’s gynecologist performed?
Consultation and examination by a pediatric gynecologist is started with the collection and analysis of the patient’s complaints. After that, a direct examination is carried out on the gynecological examination chair, which includes an assessment of the development of the genital organs, abdominal palpation (uterus and ovarian palpation), material sampling for clinical studies. In some cases, the vagina and cervix are examined with the use of a vaginal speculum for children or vaginoscope.
The first consultation with a pediatric gynecologist should take place in the first months after birth. In the absence of urgent indications, the next scheduled examinations are conducted at 5-6 and 10-11 years of age, and with the onset of menstruation – at 13-14 years, a visit to the gynecologist becomes mandatory in the schedule of annual preventive medical examinations.
What examinations can a pediatric gynecologist prescribe?
To make an accurate diagnosis and determine the cause of the disease, the following studies can be prescribed:
- ultrasound of the pelvic organs;
- blood and urine test;
- hormonal profile;
- bacterial culture, etc.
In some cases, it may be necessary to consult related professionals, such as a children’s endocrinologist or a general practitioner.
To undergo diagnostics and treatment from the specialists of the children’s department of the Medical Center “ON Clinic”, fill in the online form on the clinic’s website with the indication of the desired date and time of a visit to the doctor or call us by telephone number.