In case of nasal stuffiness and general swelling of nasal pharynx, ENT-specilist can diagnose “adenoiditis”. In most cases children under 9 years have this disease. Among adults this pathology is rare due to gradual change in nasal pharynx tissues. What is this pathology like and what harm can it do?
What is adenoiditis?
Adenoiditis is inflammation of pharyngeal tonsils causing pain in throat and nasal stuffiness.
Depending on the disease duration and status, there are two types of illness:
- acute adenoiditis: it develops in the setting of contagious ENT-diseases, lasts 10 days in average and is characterized by florid symptoms. If one fails to visit doctor in a timely manner, the disease may turn into subacute form and then in chronic form;
- chronic adenoiditis: it is diagnosticated in case symptoms last for more than 1 month and regular pathology episodes during the year. It can result in gradual structural changes in tonsil tissues, can transfer into purulent adenoiditis when plenty of mucus together with purulent comes out.
The first symptoms:
- nasal tickling;
- rough breathing;
- night snoring and troubles sleep;
- increase of body temperature;
- general weakness and headache;
- nasal mucoid discharges;
- non-productive cough;
- decrease of auditory acuity.
In most cases pathology develops in the setting of other ENT-diseases: pharyngitis, laryngitis, URI. Inflammation comes rapidly into nasal pharynx and involves tonsils causing adenoiditis.
The disease can be also provoked with the following:
- body hypercooling;
- decrease of immunity in the setting of vitamin deficiency, trauma, stress;
- allergen impact (allergic adenoiditis develops).
In case of the first signs, one should see the ENT-specialist as the disease can turn rapidly into chronic stage and causes otitis, bronchitis, pneumonia.
Treatment of adenoiditis at ON Clinic
For the purposes of diagnostics, ENT-specialist interviews the patient, examines him, performs rhinoscopy and prescribes complete blood count. The treatment depends on patient’s age, his state of health, established disease form.
The treatment may include the following:
- antibacterial medications with direct impact on pathogenic microorganisms;
- antihistamines (in case of allergic adenoiditis);
- vasoconstricting drops for breathing relief;
- inhalations eliminating nasal stuffiness and relieving symptoms;
- immunomodulators for activation of body defenses;
- vitamin complexes.
In case of timely visit to ENT-specialist, the treatment has rapid effect – tissue swelling reduces, inflammation is gone, patient recovers completely. Later on, simple adenoiditis preventive measures are required including the hypercooling avoidance, sound sleep, moderate physical activity and immunity improvement.
You can register for visit to ENT-specialist at medical centre ON Clinic. We propose modern diagnostics, effective therapy and caring attitude of personnel to our patients.