Child psychiatrist in Kharkiv
A child psychiatrist is a specialist who is competent not only in psychiatry, but also in psychology, psychotherapy and neurology. Such a wide scope of narrower specializations allows the pediatric psychiatrist to assess the situation in a more comprehensive way, which certainly has a positive effect on the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of various conditions.
What does a pediatric psychiatrist treat?
You can attend a pediatric psychiatrist with the following complaints:
- headache and increased fatigue;
- impairment of memory, attention and other cognitive functions;
- poor performance at school;
- obsessive fears and phobias;
- obsessive thoughts and actions;
- developmental delays;
- attention deficit disorder;
- schizophrenia and other psychological disorders.
The psychiatrist treats a wide range of psychological disorders in childhood: neurosis, hyperactivity, insomnia, anxiety. The sooner treatment is started, the higher the likelihood of helping the child without drug therapy.
When should you take your child to a psychiatrist?
Consultation for a child may be required at any age. The following can be signs of mental deviation in babies:
- increased physical activity (chaotic sharp movements of the arms and legs);
- moodiness and irritability;
- poor appetite.
For children of primary school age, alarming symptoms are:
- hyperactive behavior after 3 years;
- monotonous games with non-playable objects (stones, branches, threads);
- regular repetition of the same actions;
- pathological habits: nail biting, hair pulling;
- increased tendency to fantasize, when the child considers himself/herself a character and does not leave the role for a long time;
- urinary and fecal incontinence after 6 years;
- recurring strong fears, both during the day and at night;
- sleep disorders including insomnia, sleepwalking (somnambulism).
If it is difficult for a child to concentrate on his/her studies, he/she is inattentive, it is difficult for him/her to master the school curriculum, he/she is retarded - this is also a reason to turn to a child psychiatrist.
When does an adolescent need a psychiatrist?
After 12-13 years of age, a child can behave aggressively, show a tendency to leave home, unmotivated cruelty towards animals, younger brothers and sisters, and peers. Signs of mental health problems in adolescent children at this age are:
- suicidal thoughts;
- complete refusal of food in order to lose weight;
- excessive attention to their own minor physical disabilities;
- excessive hobby for something to the detriment of study, communication, other activities.
No special intra-family training is required before consulting a psychiatrist. But it is still worth creating a positive attitude in the child using the usual methods so that the child feels calm and confident both before and during the consultation.
What does a pediatric psychiatrist check?
At a pediatric psychiatrist's appointment, the doctor assesses the patient's situation in a comprehensive manner, therefore, at the initial consultation, the following information will be valuable for him/her:
- about the course of pregnancy of the child’s mother;
- how the delivery took place;
- what is the psychological climate in the family;
- about the diseases suffered by the child;
- daily routine and habits of the child.
Then he/she conducts a conversation with the child, analyzes his/her mental state, the level of intellectual and psycho-emotional development. Additionally, examinations may be prescribed - for example, an ultrasound of the head or an EEG.
After the diagnosis is made, a treatment regimen is developed. Doctors of “ON Clinic” Medical Center pay more attention to non-drug methods of therapy: family and play, which allows to correct the child's behavior without the use of drugs.
Where can you attend a private pediatric psychiatrist in Kharkiv?
If you need a pediatric psychiatrist in Kharkiv, make an appointment with a doctor at “ON Clinic Kharkiv” Medical Center. Appointment is available by contact phone number or online on the website.
The cost of doctor дитячих психіатрій appointments in Kharkiv
Address: Kharkiv, Moskovskiy av., 257
- On map